May 19th “Mixer” Event
• Arrive in Custer, SD by about mid-afternoon, parking in the Chamber of Commerce and Dacotah Bank parking lots (across from each other and separated by 6th Street) for an informal show and local “mixer”
- This is a monthly event but with this special show, last year we had 700 people visiting, including us!
• We will have local enthusiasts mixing with our owners, so be prepared to be an informal advocate.
• Dave is the consummate host and he has arranged an excellent way to get to know your fellow owners and the Custer area locals.
• On 6th Street between these lots we will have a stage facing North at the end of the street with live band entertainment.
• In the middle of the street we will have barbeque and smoker cooking and serving food (part of your registration).
• Between the stage and parked Tesla cars, we will have picnic tables and a keg on tap (part of your registration).
• The welcome event/mixer has many local sponsors and it will run from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm on Friday night.
• The Custer Area Chamber of Commerce will handle promotion of the event through media channels…last year got some great exposure with local television and news coverage.
May 20th Touring the Area and Monuments:
• The Chamber will highlight two or three driving routes for people to see the surrounding hills and monuments. There will be a map in your welcome bag with routes and charging locations.
• We can have “rally-type” drives (in groups) if you like, but it is not necessary. We can make that call the evening of the 20th
• Wonderful destinations include the Historic Town of Custer (with oldest bar) and great eating venues, Custer State Park, The Wildlife Loop (complete with wild bison, mules, turkey, pronghorn, elk, and the like), Crazy Horse Monument, Mount Rushmore National Memorial, Wind Cave, Jewell Cave, and other surrounding old west towns like Deadwood and Hill City.
• There will be another great event at Crazy Horse this year for dinner (part of your registration). The last 3 years we had a group photo of all our cars in the foreground parking lot in front of the monument. The group photo is scheduled at 5:00 pm on Saturday. Following the photo, there is self-access to tour of the museum and the Chamber dinner at 6:30 pm. They lit up the mountain for the group. This gives everyone the whole day to drive around and come back to Crazy Horse. By the time the photo is done and everyone walks in it is time to eat. PLEASE be on time for the photo as late arrivals will not get the chance to participate because it takes a lot to get the cars lined up in the right spot. A few later-comers learned this last year…
• Dave is providing complimentary passes to Custer State Park & Wildlife Loop and Crazy Horse (part of your registration). Mount Rushmore parking lot is controlled by an NGO non-profit so you will need to pay for your own parking if visiting. We found a couple of chargers near the elevators that are not advertised but parking is it/miss so do not count on it. No problem as it is a short drive to Custer anyway!
• The Custer Chamber of Commerce is also providing a welcome gift bag with local information. We will have a table set up in the Chamber Office or a tent very near it to register. This way you can get your goodie bag with your ANNUAL pin (shown above) and yes, a different color every year – this year blue to match the new car color with the founders having gold for year #1. We will also need information from you for ongoing coordination over the weekend and to connect with courtesy shuttles.
• You will receive “$10 in Custer Cash” to each car in your gift bag (use it just like cash in Custer) exclusively offered for those staying in Custer (part of your registration). If you chose another town to stay in, you will miss this benefit!